Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Importance of Understanding What’s Happening in the Background

Every would-be hacker and computer expert needs to understand the basics and what goes on in the background of the computer. But why? Don’t hackers and computer experts only need to know what programs work to achieve a certain end? Why would a hacker need to know how a password cracker cracks a password? Does knowing how really provide any benefit? Well, yes, knowing what goes on behind the scenes makes all the difference. Let me explain by using an example from my past. This post will help to explain why I am teaching the basics of computing in my Cybercation courses.

I was once an avid gamer. My favorite game to play was Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. I loved to play this game competitively, but I wasn’t all that good. And, for the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t good. I mean, I copied the play-styles, builds, and strategies of the best players. In fact, I copied them extremely well and I executed them well. Why did I lose so much? Only after many, many losses did I discover that I wasn’t really understanding the strategies, I was merely copying and replicating them. I didn’t understand the strengths and weaknesses of the strategies. And, most importantly, I didn’t understand under what circumstances certain strategies would work. In short, I didn’t understand why a strategy worked.

If a hacker doesn’t know how a particular password cracker works, he won’t know how to best use that password cracker. He may not even know how to properly use the password cracker. By the same token, if a computer expert doesn’t understand how a computer works, he won’t be able to make the best use of that computer. This is why understanding the basics and inner-workings of a computer or computer program is important.

Understanding the basics and inner-workings not only allows the user to best use a computer or tool, it allows the user to use the tool creatively. Creativity is the likely the one indepensible trait in the hacker’s arsenal. If a hacker isn’t in the least bit creative, he may as well drop hacking altogether. If a hacker can’t apply a tool creatively, or use a programming language creatively, then he may as well hang up his hat and call it a day. Hacking is a lot of trial and error, it involves a lot of patience, practice, and persistence. If the hacker can’t think creatively, he won’t be able to hack for crap. Am I getting through to you, yet?

A good computer person must look at a problem from all, or most, sides. A good understanding of the problem and its context requires intimate knowledge of the computer’s inner workings. And that intimate knowledge is dependent on how well that computer person understands computing. A good motto for the initiate hacker would be: Understand first, hack second. Or, hack to gain understanding and knowledge, then hack some more.

So, crack open those boring computing books and get to work. “But that’s boring, I want to hack now!”. Didn’t you listen to a damn thing I said? If you don’t understand what you’re doing or how a program works, your hacking will be crap.

Take my advice and you’ll be a true guru.

Happy learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment