Sunday, July 5, 2015

Cybercation: An Umbrella Series

This is the first post in an umbrella series tritely titled Cybercation. Under this series, I’ll be creating miniseries focused on various subjects within the wonderful world of computing. The first series is titled “Basics of Computing” and another series is titled “Networks”. The subjects, and depth, will vary but I’ll focus on teaching mainly the basics (though I will likely dive into more advanced topics down the line). Since this blog is about the Internet, technology, and the future in general, I think this series will fit right in since all of the preceding are in our collective futures. And you wouldn’t mind learning a thing or two, would ya? But why am I introducing this series? I once considered myself to be one of those people who was sufficiently learned about computing. And it wasn’t until recently that I discovered just how little I knew. Indeed, there’s nothing quite like a good networking book that completely obliterates any misconceptions you may have about how much you know. So, if you are one of those people who believes, either rightly or wrongly, yourself to be a computer person, I invite you to take a look at this series. Even the most advanced of students will likely take something away from it. So, give it a go.

Another reason I wanted to do this series is that I believe the best way to learn something, or test/clarify your own knowledge, is to attempt to explain a concept to someone else, namely, a layman. I hope this series will both help me find weak points in my own knowledge and help me learn a thing or two.

I will be prefacing each article with a difficulty rating of either beginner, moderate, advanced, super advanced, and extreme. And don’t feel bad if you don’t immediately understand a “beginner” subject. Conversely, don’t think the “extreme” topics are too difficult to learn and don’t think immediately understanding an “extreme” topic makes you a genius (it just means I’m a genius for explaining the topic so well). All of these ratings are subjective to my own experience and to the topic itself, so take them with a grain of salt.

As an aside, I haven’t completely planned this series out, so I’ll likely bounce around between topics quite frequently. I don’t know where this series will go or for how long it will run, but I will put some effort into it. This umbrella series will likely lead to the creation of a ton of miniseries, but I’ll try to keep miniseries creation to a minimum, as tempting as it is to create new miniseries.

As I mentioned before, I haven’t completely planned out this series, so it will likely evolve over time as I decide to add extra features. I’ll be sure to keep my readers updated on new features I decide to add to the series. You can find listings of any new features in the posts under the “About Cybercation” tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment